Sunday, May 4, 2014

Political Cartoon

Figure 1: Political Cartoon
Figure Source: http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/SIOW/climate-change-science-v-politics-cartoon.jpg

I found this cartoon and paused at it for a moment, to figure out what I thought it meant. I decided that it can be interpreted in two different ways (if you think of another let me know!). I think at first glance, it appears to be bashing politicians for not listening to scientists. It clearly depicts scientists with facts and politicians with opinions. After I thought about it for a little while, I thought of another interpretation. I thought that it could be a comment on the lack of communication between climate scientists and politicians on the topic of climate change. We know that climate change is happening and we know that we have to do something about it. Now. But there is a large amount of grey area in that we do not know what to do and how to go about deciding all that. So interpret the image as you may, but keep these thoughts in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment